Welcome To My World

I am deeply concerned with getting to the bottom autism, the zombie apocalypse, my children, lovely husband, odd bits of trivia, animals, Tool, and the hygiene habits of Walmart patrons. If any of these descriptions fit you....welcome to my world!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Word About Hate

I wanted to write a word about hate this morning, but as it turns out, I have many words to share.  As a post I read this morning read, "Hate is taught..."  No truer words spoken!  As I have raised my children I watched them adapt behaviors I have modeled for them.  When my twins were young I would get frustrated and spank them.  I would later hear from a teacher that my child has been exhibiting aggressive behavior in school.  I knew that it was my influence that caused this because once I cut it out, so did they.  The same applies for racism, homophobia and misogyny taught to kids and/or modeled by parents or other influential people in a child's life.  They are the sum of us and if we want that sum to be violence and hatred, it will be.  We can decide and pass on what is right.  We can live what is right in our daily lives.  If we, "become the change we want to see in the world", it will not only make a difference for us and those we love, but it will have far reaching implications for our world.  If we want truth, love and acceptance in our lives and our world, we must do first by example.

1 comment:

Mary said...

No truer words, indeed! I have spent much of my adult life trying to unlearn the lessons taught to me by parents who believed in corporal punishment. I was once a very aggressive person, and have worked hard to identify those things within myself and eradicate them through changing my behaviors. Love the blog! You are such an inspiration.

Followers